2040 is the only survivor of the first and second batches of trolley coaches bought
by the BC Electric Railway in 1947/8. These were the vehicles that ushered in Vancouver’s
trolleybus era with the ‘rails-to-rubber’ campaign. There were a total of 82 vehicles
purchased before the company standardized on the larger T48. Some of the earlier
buses were disposed of at a young age in 1962, due to a downturn in passengers
and their smaller capacity. Ten went to Edmonton, while the rest were scrapped.
The last T44 trolleybus was retired by BC Hydro & Power Authority in 1976. #2040 joined the now-defunct BC Transportation Museum. After spending some years in inoperable condition, 2040 has been fully restored to operating condition and sees occasional use in TRAMS excursions in Vancouver.